shaving a healed tattoo?

I'm aware that you must wait until a tattoo is healed before you can shave it. I've had mine about 5 weeks (lower calf/ankle region), and it seems healed, although it is still raised. Should I wait even longer before I shave it? Also, is frequent shaving of a tattoo going to facilitate its fading over time? Would Nair be better?

Wait at least 2-3 weeks before shaving over a tattoo. It should be healed by now, not sure why it would be really raised. If you are worried about it being raised, go to the person who did it and ask for their opinion.

Shaving over a tattoo will not harm it unless you take chunks out of your skin with the razor. The ink is deep, and all you are doing when you shave is brush the surface to remove hair. I have a tattoo on my leg and I shave over it all the time. Its still bright and vibrant.

• Mortis

Once the top layer of skin is healed, the scab has completely fallen off and there is no broken skin, you can shave the area again. The raised lines you feel is from a deeper scab. Shaving a tattoo area will not cause it to fade, UV light is the main cause of tattoo fading. I would not recommend placing any chemicals on the tattoo as they may be absorbed through the skin and cause damage to the ink.

i have an ankle tattoo amoungst others, you cannot shave it while it is still raised and i would strongly advise against nair or anything like it for now, it wont take too long until your tattoo is flat and smooth and you are able to shave as you did before. What i did was shave around it, leaving a little area around it untouched. As much as my love of smooth legs is, i wanted to take care of my tattoo more, go round it, gingerly, it will be fine and un noticable, honestly

u can shave the tat area but do so lightly. do not apply pressure to the razor and for gods sake stay away from the nair. all the nair will do is cause infection. once it is no longer razed shave away. it won't hurt it.

Source(s): former manager/bookkeeper of a tattoo/piercing parlor

wait another week or twoi to be on the safe side. Shaving will not effect the color of your tat. Ask your tattoo artist about using nair.

shave it but be very gentle. i have had both of my arms tatted which i shave by the way. i shaved my arm after the second week you should be fine. take a look at my myspace pics and see it yourself the picture was taken the day i shaved my arm and the tat was raised a lil. www.myspace.com/hawaiianqueen84

If it is still flaking, you need to wait. If you pull the flakes off it WILL take color with it. Maybe tweeze the area if it is really noticiable.

id wait a little longer

Be ginger with it when you shave it, and no, tattoos don't fade because of shaving, they fade because of sunlight.

Yes you have to wait longer. Be patient. it's for your own good.