Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What do the Hebrew letters "ayin, mem & shin" mean when they are together in that order?

My son found a little bracelet today at church that has the Hebrew characters of "ayin, mem and shin" on it - and in that order. My research is coming up with conflicting answers.

What does this bracelet mean in English?

• NY gal
    Best answer

most of the answerer's are correct...Hebrew is read from Right to left...therefore the word is SHEMA...which means, listen or hear. and is the first word of the prayer shema Israel, hashem elokeinu hashem echad...which means, hear, Israel, god is our lord god is one.

• keira

Mem Hey Shin

you are right, it is in that order and it means " hear "

Then on the other hand the Gematria of 570 represents the Mispar Godal of Shema, meaning HEAR! It also represents the crown of Tefillin that men wear each morning in prayer.

SHEMA { Shi Mah}

From right to left

Ayin + Mem + Shin

Shin Letter

360 = Nun = 50 + Yud = 10 + Shin = 300

Mem Letter

80 = Mem = 40 + Mem = 40

Ayin Letter

130 = Nun = 50 + Yud = 10 + Ayin = 70

570 = 360 + 80 + 130

Shin In Hebrew

This whole thing is disgusting,so many cuts for us ordinary people yet so many rises for them,it's an absolute disgrace! Most people are lucky to see a small pay rise,many take a cut in their wages to keep their jobs and all the while services such as the NHS,policing and education are suffering because our country is supposed to be so poor,funny how it's not poor for the MP's. I honestly don't know how any of them can ask for the public to vote for them whilst they are doing this,i shall be out to vote at the next general election but it will only be to spoil a paper with 'none of the above'.

At first I was scraching my head because I dont know of any word spelled ayin mem shin and I even looked it up.

I am now positive you are reading it backwords

(Hebrew is read from left to right)

its shin mem ayin (shema) which means Hear or listen in Hebrew.

It is the first word in the Jewish testamate of faith which is

Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God! The LORD is One

I thought for a moment and then realized that you had it backwards. It is Shema as others have already said. It is the first word in the affirmation of faith of Judaism. " Hear"

Hear O' Israel, the Lord is our God the Lord is One.

The Lord of Israel is not a tripartate/triune deity, but an incorporeal, indivisible ONE. This is one thing all branches of Judaism are in agreement as it is the core and essence of the concept of God in Torah.

Ayin = Eye or Fountain

Shin = Tooth, Year, Repeat, Teach.

http://www.hebrewletters.com/item.cfm?itemid=950

Source(s): JS
  • eldad9

Listen/hear. The first word of a certain jewish prayer.