Why do people 'believe' in evolution (or not)? It's science. It's like saying "I believe in mathematics."

I don't believe in evolution, because that's the wrong word. I never say I believe in the fundamental theorem of algebra, for example. I'd sound like an idiot. Because mathematics is just a science based on strong axioms (i.e. a+b=b+a is not a theorem). What's the correct word that I should... show more I don't believe in evolution, because that's the wrong word. I never say I believe in the fundamental theorem of algebra, for example. I'd sound like an idiot. Because mathematics is just a science based on strong axioms (i.e. a+b=b+a is not a theorem).

What's the correct word that I should use when someone asks me? Evolution is a scientific theory backed up by evidence, just like all other science?
Update: Just a note, a+b=b+a is not the fundamental theroem of algebra. It's just one of its axioms.