Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

bad toothache because of cavity; I don't have a dental insurance or plan now but?

I need to visit a dentist, which one is better, to buy the insurance or to pay the dentist directly, how would you compare these two and which one is more efficient ? or what about plans out there, please let me know if you have any useful information on this case

• Zarnev
    Favorite Answer

If you generally have good teeth and just want the basics you probably don't need any plan. A yearly cleaning and exam will cost you less without insurance. Even the filling will cost less unless other procedures are needed.

However, if you need more you have three options with dental.

Insurance - Depending upon the policy: cost $30-$60 per month. $50 deductible, annual maximum of $750 - $1500, waiting period up to 18 months for major work and then you're paying 50% of the charges. Example - average cost for a root canal in my area is $829. With insurance you pay $414 after paying 18 months of premium (around $800 or $900). Advantage - you can use any dentist with most plans.

Discount plans - Cost - $5-$10 per month. No deductible, no annual maximum and no waiting periods. Also, hardly any dentists will accept the plan and when they do you MIGHT get a 10% discount, which is about the same discount you can get by paying cash. Example - average cost for a root canal in my area is $829. With discount plans you pay around $746. Be very wary of these plans because most are scams. The people that sell these plans have little or no knowledge about health & dental insurance and do not need a license to sell them. The plans are not regulated by the state so you have no recourse when you have problems. Some states are starting to ban these plans from being sold. Here is an informative link http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2006/11/... concerning one of these plans.

Fee for Service discount plans - Cost $7-$15 per month. No deductible, no annual maximum and no waiting periods. Many dentist will accept the plan (check providers first before signing up with any plan). When you use the plan there is a set fee that the dentist will charge you. Example - average cost for a root canal in my area is $829. With fee for service plans you pay as little as $404.

I'm an insurance agent and my personal plan is the fee for service plan. I got mine here http://www.dpbrokers.com/default.aspx?lo... specifically the Aetna Dental Access plan but which one you get depends upon your area and comparing the fee schedule to find the best for what you need covered.

Source(s): Independent Agent
  • Adam

Alot of it depends where u live...If i get a cavity i go across the border to Mexico and for 15-20 bucks its done, just as good as it would be here....insurance can be better if youre expecting some Real issues, but for the average thing, if youre young and have pretty good teeth....cash....of course there are some insurances plans that are better than others, etc etc....do some research on different plans and call around to some dentists on how much cash work costs...

Your tooth may be deteriorated to the point where you may need a root canal treatment which is expensive. I just had one done recently and it cost almost $600.- Then I needed a crown which was another $750.- So my advice then is to get insurance and see a dentist promptly. With insurance you can probably see your dentist a least once a year for a check up.

Look into a dental college's service's.

If you have one nearby, they may give you a greatly reduced rate to "practise" on you. It's not as scary as you may think. The only student's that work on you, are almost ready to graduate and a certified dentist always over sees the procedures.

If that doesn't work out, try the dentist directly. Many will accept payments to settle your bill. Just make sure you work out the details, prior to getting his/her services.

i dont know where you live,but here in pa. most of the dentist has what they call a sliding fee,for the first time.if its your first time,you might check in on a sliding fee in your area.