Creationists and fundamentalist Christians...serious question?

Bear with me for a minute, if you will... Creationists and fundamentalists, I've heard some of you claim that many non-believers base their misconceived ideas of and non-belief in Christianity on the fringe or whacko "Christians" (i.e., Ku Klux Klan, child molesting bishops and priests, Ken Haggard... show more Bear with me for a minute, if you will...

Creationists and fundamentalists, I've heard some of you claim that many non-believers base their misconceived ideas of and non-belief in Christianity on the fringe or whacko "Christians" (i.e., Ku Klux Klan, child molesting bishops and priests, Ken Haggard more recently, I could go on...). I think most of you would agree that these people represent a minority of those who call themselves Christians.

Why, then, would you assume the small minority of scientists (and even smaller minority of biologists) that don't believe in evolution actually better represent the biological point of view of evolution than the other 95-98% of the rest of scientists? Aren't you falling into the same trap that you are claiming we (atheists, agnostics, pagans) fall into when we criticize your religion? Aren't we just as justified when we tell you not to listen to these fringe "scientists" such as Michael Behe and Ken Ham?
Update: My point being: If it isn't okay for non-believers to criticize your faith on the acts of a few that you say misrepresent Christianity, why is it okay for you to criticize evolution by using arguments from a few people that most in the scientific community would cringe at by calling them scientists, and that... show more My point being: If it isn't okay for non-believers to criticize your faith on the acts of a few that you say misrepresent Christianity, why is it okay for you to criticize evolution by using arguments from a few people that most in the scientific community would cringe at by calling them scientists, and that definitely misrepresent evolution?
Update 2: Decent points so far, but... Faye: I'm not addressing all Christians. I know quite a few Christians who don't have any problems with evolution. Only speaking of the fundies and creationists who use propoganda from sites like AnswersInGenesis and "proof" from places like the Creation *ahem*... show more Decent points so far, but...

Faye: I'm not addressing all Christians. I know quite a few Christians who don't have any problems with evolution. Only speaking of the fundies and creationists who use propoganda from sites like AnswersInGenesis and "proof" from places like the Creation *ahem* Museum to back their arguments.

Boxed_juice: I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing a characteristic argument you (creationists) make most of the time.
Update 3: bandaidgirl: Thanks for responding...although, you didn't really say anything about my question.
Update 4: Lawrence: The question isn't about who's right and who's wrong, it's about the falacy of one of your (creationist's) arguments. I understand that really is all that matters to some creationists, but at least answer the question asked if you're goint to answer.
Update 5: Lawrence: Forgive me. I wasn't trying to call all of those fringe and whacko "Christians" Christians, I was just implying that that is what they call themselves.
Update 6: The Mighty Quinn: This is what I was talking about. To summarize your second paragraph, it is prejudicial (an not true) to judge all Christians by the actions of a few. To summarize your third paragraph, if the overwhelming majority of scientists accept one thing, it is okay to distrust them. I don't have... show more The Mighty Quinn: This is what I was talking about. To summarize your second paragraph, it is prejudicial (an not true) to judge all Christians by the actions of a few. To summarize your third paragraph, if the overwhelming majority of scientists accept one thing, it is okay to distrust them.

I don't have any problems with Dr. Ross, but I'd like to see him and others put his hypotheses to the test. I don't necessarily agree with him, because I haven't seen any of the evidence for his ideas, but I'd be interested.
Update 7: he_returns_soon: You answered the question in the first three paragraphs. The question is only about the logic of one of the arguments many on this board make. The rest I'm just going to agree to disagree with right now, because it really doesn't address the question.
11 answers 11