Is it legal for an employer to pay servers $3.15/hour while in training and not give tips?

My wife just started a new job as a server. While in computer training and server training they only paid her $3.15/hour. While in training she was not allowed to collect tips, and at most her trainer would buy her a $6-$10 meal for a 4-8+ hour shift. She did ask for tips once and was given $12 dollars out of... show more My wife just started a new job as a server. While in computer training and server training they only paid her $3.15/hour.

While in training she was not allowed to collect tips, and at most her trainer would buy her a $6-$10 meal for a 4-8+ hour shift. She did ask for tips once and was given $12 dollars out of the $100+ they made that night.

Texas minimum wage is $6.55/hour which puts this restaurant far below minimum wage during training. There was not a single night that she earned minimum wage including meals and a few dollars thrown her way while in training.

To top this all off, I specifically told her to question her hourly rate while in training and she was told she is making $6/hour by her manager while in training.

She likes the job and doesn't want to lose it, so what is there to do? Something like this can make it nearly impossible to get another serving job in the same city, especially when it's a locally owned VERY popular franchise.
Update: Please read the situation carefully, she WAS NOT getting tips during training and was paid $3.15/hour.
8 answers 8