Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

"It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich guy as a poor guy, so..." How true is this statement?

I've heard this a few times in my life, usually stated as a colloquialism by an older fellow. I'm simply checking the validity of this statement. I know it's partially true.

• Favorite Answer

I don't mean to offend, but this is probably not true (though it might be becoming more true over time). Men tend to trade off. That is to say that men trade money for an attractive partner. Women tend to trade looks for wealth/status/power/etc. That isn't to say that all men and women do this, but it is a tendency that men and women have. However, if you don't have the money, then physical attractiveness is usually the most important thing. Women do tend to like tall men. The taller the better, up to a certain point. If one were short, stout, and poor, chances of finding a life partner quickly diminish. Human beings tend to pick others that are like us, but if we can move "up the ladder" so to speak we tend to do that as well. As for personality, if one were both rich and tall, then the Halo Effect would probably take over, people would treat the rich and tall man better, and thus the rich and tall man would act more congenial. The arrow of causation points the opposite of the way most would think it does. As long as a person isn't a jerk, personality tends to have little to do with "falling in love" with another person.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot 39 easy fall love rich guy poor guy quot true statement: https://tinyurl.im/hQm0N

In a perfect world yes this is true. But life is not a Disney movie and every person man or women are driven by different things that make them happy. Some is love, some is money, and some is both. All I know is I make a decent enough living but if I were to win the lottery tonight I bet my social life would get a lot busier.

This is odd as my female coworker recently told me her mom said that phrase to her over thanksgiving. A woman might be more attracted to the rich guy not necessarily directly for his money, but for his ability to provide for her AND a child in the future. Having a child with a poor guy will only make them both poorer.

Ah, but many "rich" men really aren't rich. Sure, there may be a high income but there is a high outflow of money. The better indicator of a "rich" man would be how much debt he has and what % of his income he is saving for long/short term goals.

I heard a financial guru make this statement..."Money doesn't always buy happiness, but lack of money definitely leads to misery."

Let's put it this way: no-one wants to hook up with a person without prospects, but a man in this situation is usually a worse catch than a pretty woman in the same circumstances. Not because she is worth less or more as a person, but because men with some cash a re willing to support a women for the other things they can get.

There are women out there supporting men who are jobless wasters, but it is usually a short lived phenomenon.

The falling in love part is something not particularly based upon reason, staying in love, even though it can remain so 'in your heart' requires additional factors.

It's true, you don't have any control over who you fall in love with and when it comes to true love, money is no object. That being said, just because you love someone doesn't mean that you will choose to be with them.

I would imagine it is just as easy to fall in love with either, but more difficult to stay in love with someone determined to remain poor

• It could be true, but that big fat wallet helps to "solidify the love".

Both men and women are superficial to an extent. That is inherent in all of us. How we act upon it is what makes us who we are.

only the heart can choose in cases of love, to thine own heart be true, for the heart does not weigh the persons worth, yes i believe its a true statement.

• Holly

I suppose in theory its true. I dont really know any rich guys and unlike the topic of one of our recent questions Im not out looking for one either.