Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why do the students smell the paper in Fast Times at Ridgemont high?

i was watching the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High and mr hand passes out a handout to his students and i notice they all smell the paper...anyone know why they do that?

I was a teacher, and I can guarantee that I never saw one student smell a mimeographed paper. No teacher ever wanted to smell them either. It's a horrible smell that can make you choke! It was dreadful having to work with the stuff. Thank goodness mimeograph machines are history! They were an unbelievable pain to work with. Thank goodness for photocopiers, which have little or no scent.

Again, the students I saw would be "EWWWWW! Stink!" They certainly never stuck their noses to the paper.

When I saw this in the movie, I thought, "They must be nuts!" I still think that when I see that bit.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): students smell paper fast times ridgemont high: https://tr.im/BvR0m

Mimeograph is how they made copies in the 60s-early 80s. You had to type or draw on special 3-layered sheets that were not cheap. They would transfer wax off the typed letters and you would throw that sheet and the top one away. The one in the middle was now porous where the wax was removed. You put it in the machine on a rotating drum that pressed ink through it onto paper. The fumes didn't give anyone a buzz but most people loved the smell, some hated it. It seemed to be a love or hate thing. A stack of copies could be too strong and even choking but the single copies were just right.

I remember the mimeograph machine being used in the office of my elementary school in Manhattan (1969-1976). I still remember the smell of freshly printed blue inked paper. The students mostly all smelled the paper. It was a very distinctive smell which I and many others liked. There was never a buzz, or high from it.

Mimeograph Machine

Wow. What memories this question brings. I was a student but always asked to type for teachers and even the Principal's office. I remember removing the ink ribbon so the keys would strike the lavender wax on the form. Then you would put it on machine and the fluid was very potent! I'm sure they would never allow it now!!

Because of the smell. It was....was...was...just so hard to explain. But it smelled better then rubber cement and something that was just automatic when you got the test paper handed to you. It was a 60 s grade school thing, you just had to be there.

The Breakfast Club

what era is fast times at ridgemont high set in

Mimeograph

I remember that well, back in the 70's these were very common. When you got a freshly printed copy, everyone in class would smell it, It never gave us a buzz, but it smelled really good.