If I received a 1099-misc from my employer, do I use the 1040 or the 1040EZ?

  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I recently received a 1099-misc from my employer and am wondering which tax form I can use, a 1040 or a 1040EZ. I have no itemized deductions nor can I claim anyone as my dependent. ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
You have to use Form 1040. Attach Schedule C to figure your self-employment income. If the net is over $400, attach Schedule SE to figure the self-employment tax. Enclose a check for the balance due. If the balance due is over $1,000 there will probably be penalties and interest due; the IRS will bill you for that. You'll also need to start making quarterly estimated tax payments using Form 1040-ES.

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
Thank you. Your answer was informative yet concise.
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (2)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Judy answered 6 years ago
    You can't use the EZ form if you have a 1099-misc, you'll use a 1040. If the amount on the 1099 is in box 7 for non-employee compensation, then you'll show that on a schedule C or C-EZ, use a schedule SE if the net on the schedule C is over $400, then transfer info from the schedules to form 1040.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Lone Woof answered 6 years ago
    A 1099 is for self-employment, sometimes referred to as contract work. You will have to fill out the forms Bostonian mentions. Be prepared to pay a good chunk of it to Uncle Sam. Good luck.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

    to add your answer

Who is following this question?

    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week: