I have returned membership card. The fitness center still wants to charge me!!!?

Early this year, I requested to terminated the fitness membership. As instructed by the Customer Service, I have submitted a letter in writting for termination of membership and stated clear of the reason of moved out of the area. They always have different excuses and reject to let me know the status of... show more Early this year, I requested to terminated the fitness membership. As instructed by the Customer Service, I have submitted a letter in writting for termination of membership and stated clear of the reason of moved out of the area. They always have different excuses and reject to let me know the status of termination yet STILL continue charge me!!! after 3-months, i decided to drop by to return them the membership card. The customer service manager just asked me ''why to return?'', simple I told him, ''due to termination of membership''. He signed the receipt of return of membership cards.

after 2-months, i received a so-called lawyer from the credit control dept saying the dues and owing amount bla bla bla... I just dont understand. I have returned the membership card, why do they still want to charge me? I called the relevant dept, no one able to solute it!!!
Update: i called the relevant dept. they told me, the customer service dept has no right to accept termination. BUT how would i knw in their company which is the right dept to so-called ''approve'' the termination??? i am the customer, absolutely i would go to customer service dept seek for assistance....... show more i called the relevant dept. they told me, the customer service dept has no right to accept termination. BUT how would i knw in their company which is the right dept to so-called ''approve'' the termination???
i am the customer, absolutely i would go to customer service dept seek for assistance.... they sent me the ''lawyer letter'' asked for the dues n owing amt else they would summon me.... sigh!!!

who can teach me what can i do to solve this problem?