When kickstarting a motorcycle, how many tries do you get before you flood it?

I have an XR650R and I'm a total noob at kickstarting. I know the right procedure, but it's still hard for me to fire it up. Someone told me if you fail 3 times, the engine is flooded and you have to either clear it out or wait a while to try again. Is this true? What's the best way to clear out the gas? show more I have an XR650R and I'm a total noob at kickstarting. I know the right procedure, but it's still hard for me to fire it up. Someone told me if you fail 3 times, the engine is flooded and you have to either clear it out or wait a while to try again. Is this true? What's the best way to clear out the gas?
Update: To clarify: other people can start the bike fine, I'm just poor at it. I know the proper starting procedure, I think my kick just isn't of the right length/velocity/whatever. I think I'll get it right eventually, but this question is about engine flooding while trying to kickstart. When people say... show more To clarify: other people can start the bike fine, I'm just poor at it. I know the proper starting procedure, I think my kick just isn't of the right length/velocity/whatever. I think I'll get it right eventually, but this question is about engine flooding while trying to kickstart.

When people say they get it on the 2nd kick, do you mean the second try of the starting procedure, or 2nd kick on one setup? (i.e. don't let the piston stop after initial kick)