Do PA's have the potential to make $100,000+ per year?

Right now I'm a first year PharmD major, but I've decided to pursue a career in medicine so I'm changing to pre-med after this year. Considering the fact that getting into U.S. medical schools is so hard, I'm thinking that my backup plan if I don't get in should be to become a PA. However, I... show more Right now I'm a first year PharmD major, but I've decided to pursue a career in medicine so I'm changing to pre-med after this year. Considering the fact that getting into U.S. medical schools is so hard, I'm thinking that my backup plan if I don't get in should be to become a PA. However, I have done a little research and have seen that, on average, PA's only make about $70,000 per year. While that is a decent salary, I don't feel like it does any justice to the six-year education required to get the job. I just don't understand why pharmacists, who get the same amount of education and do less in terms of direct patient care, get paid upwards of $50,000 more per year.
Update: @ My Future in Medicine: I can assure you that my career choice is certainly not only about money; come to think of it, I would much rather be a PA making $70,000 than sit behind a counter all day handing out pills. However, I think that this salary is very low considering that the six year of education needed will... show more @ My Future in Medicine: I can assure you that my career choice is certainly not only about money; come to think of it, I would much rather be a PA making $70,000 than sit behind a counter all day handing out pills. However, I think that this salary is very low considering that the six year of education needed will probably cost $120,000+
1 answer 1