What are the strange folders with long names in Vista C Drive?

I've got two or three folders in my Vista's C Drive, with long names i.e 33afffe42d76703..... or {8605d313-5d88-43ab-9c4f-1087...} The first folder mentioned has files called "mrt.exe._p", "$shtdwn$.req" and others in it.The second has a lot of dll files and configuration settings files... show more I've got two or three folders in my Vista's C Drive, with long names i.e 33afffe42d76703..... or {8605d313-5d88-43ab-9c4f-1087...} The first folder mentioned has files called "mrt.exe._p", "$shtdwn$.req" and others in it.The second has a lot of dll files and configuration settings files in it. I'm just wondering what these things are doing things are doing and why they are in my DOCUMENTS folder and not somewhere in my system or something. Most of all, i'd like to know if it would be safe to delete them as they take up too much space and clatter everything. I have run anti-virus scans on them and they seem to be harmless.
5 answers