Help with chi square tests?

The data I have was obtained during a physiology experiment about the circulatory system, which involved recording subjects' blood pressure, EKG pattern, and pulse under specific conditions (at rest, after submerging arm in ice water, and after light exercise, respectively). As such, I'm required to perform... show more The data I have was obtained during a physiology experiment about the circulatory system, which involved recording subjects' blood pressure, EKG pattern, and pulse under specific conditions (at rest, after submerging arm in ice water, and after light exercise, respectively). As such, I'm required to perform a number of chi square tests to see if any changes evident in the data for the different treatments were of statistical significance.

I've only done chi square tests on data in terms of frequency, i.e. how many times does X occur, relative to Y. These seem different, and I'm not quite sure how to set the calculations up. For example, one asks "Is there a significant change in heart rate between rest and exercise?" How do I approach this? Would I need to set some sort of discriminate value, specifying what would constitute a "significant" difference, or do I need to look at how many times heart rate was higher after exercise than it was at rest?
1 answer 1