What caused my food poisoning?

A few months ago I somehow got food poisoning. I ate fried fish, then about 2 hours later I began vomiting non-stop for about 24ish hours. I didn't get any sort of treatment, the symptoms just stopped after about a day. I don't think I had a fever, but then again I was too out of it to check/notice. I... show more A few months ago I somehow got food poisoning. I ate fried fish, then about 2 hours later I began vomiting non-stop for about 24ish hours. I didn't get any sort of treatment, the symptoms just stopped after about a day. I don't think I had a fever, but then again I was too out of it to check/notice.

I have 2 theories...

1. Improper storage of fish caused the fish to produce large amounts of histamine. I ate the fish and consequentially ingested a large amount of histamines--->vomiting

2. Fish was contaminated with Staphylococcus aureus (or some other pathogen), which produced an entertoxin once inside my stomach---> stimulation of vagus nerve---> vomiting

I'm really curious if anyone has any ideas, because this was the worst I've ever felt in my life.
Update: Well actually staph aureus does cause non-lethal food poisoning that onsets 1-6 hours after ingestion...I'm reading about it right now in my pathogenic microbiology class. Also to clarify, improper storage of fish refers to not putting the fish on ice right after it was caught. If you don't ice fish after you... show more Well actually staph aureus does cause non-lethal food poisoning that onsets 1-6 hours after ingestion...I'm reading about it right now in my pathogenic microbiology class.

Also to clarify, improper storage of fish refers to not putting the fish on ice right after it was caught. If you don't ice fish after you catch them, apparently through some biochemical process, large amounts of histamine is formed. I think it's called scombroid poisoning.

But thanks for the comments, keep them coming!!
2 answers 2