Evolution argument vs intelligent design!?

Me and my Uncle always discuss evolution. I know evolution IS what happens to organisms over long periods of time, with common ancestors, mutations, natural selection and the like. HE likes to argue that intelligent design is a good theory, mainly the fact that all organisms are indeed related, and that is... show more Me and my Uncle always discuss evolution.
I know evolution IS what happens to organisms over long periods of time, with common ancestors, mutations, natural selection and the like.
HE likes to argue that intelligent design is a good theory, mainly the fact that all organisms are indeed related, and that is because they have a good design. He argues humans and apes share similar hands because that type of hand is a well designed hand, and "God" shouldn't have to change the design because it is a different species if it just works well. Or, another case is eyes. Why do our eyes seem similar to other animal's eyes? Because, he says, they are a good design.
How do I refute this argument by him?
He says he believes in evolution witin species but NOT among them. That's why he believes in this intelligent design idea. He doesn't really understand evolution too well, he asked me why there are still apes if we evolved from them. :)
Any help would be most appreciated so I can argue the point with him tommorrow.
Update: I appreciate the replies. ' Lindsay- I do not believe in a god, I think evolution explains most of what we must know. If you believe in a god, a creator, then who created him? The question forms a loop that cannot be answered. Also, yes, I understand "common ancestors" is what science concludes, I will make that... show more I appreciate the replies. '
Lindsay- I do not believe in a god, I think evolution explains most of what we must know. If you believe in a god, a creator, then who created him? The question forms a loop that cannot be answered.
Also, yes, I understand "common ancestors" is what science concludes, I will make that clear to him. Basically every organism branches out from common ansestors, which explains diversity, to the smallest life form.
Update 2: Thanks for the book references, I will look for them when I go to the library!!
I do agree, learning both sides is probably the best strategy, to be informed on both sides of the argument.