Did anyone see what Michelle posted about the IRS and the 1/31date?

This was on another question and I never saw it before and thought some of you with a refund status of 1/31 would find this interesting (but disturbing as well). My status still says 2/7 and my return was accepted on 1/18 so not sure how I am affected by this whole crazy thing this year! Michelle... show more This was on another question and I never saw it before and thought some of you with a refund status of 1/31 would find this interesting (but disturbing as well). My status still says 2/7 and my return was accepted on 1/18 so not sure how I am affected by this whole crazy thing this year!

Michelle said:
"Attention needs to be drawn to the fact that there is a major error in the IRS system going on right now. I just did a interview with my local news regarding this and what the IRS has told me and what they are telling my local news is two different things. What I was told was if your return was SENT In before the 17th (which millions were due to the fact that the tax sites sent them in early) they were picked up by the old IRS system. If it was sent in on the 17th or after it was picked up by the new system. Those that were picked up by the old system are getting a return date of the 31st on WMR although that date is far from accurate. At this point, the returns in the old system are trickling thier way down into the new system and they have no idea how long it will take to get them all over. They have no way of telling when we will receive our refunds and they aren't very polite when you call and ask them. There response to me this afternoon was "DO NOT call us back for 3 weeks regarding your refund". Now I do have to say from what I have seen from others on here, my IRS rep was rather polite. The issue that was released to my local news from the IRS was that there was a glitch in the system when they were trying to safeguard against fraud and everyones returns will be delayed by 7 days... Not sure what to believe at this point but I recommend drawing attention to this problem by contacting your local news. Maybe if enough of us do, the IRS might actually care to fix the problem. I doubt it but I figure at least it lets every one in my area know that there is a problem. And that we shouldn't rely on the money any time soon. Good luck all!

Source(s):

2 phone calls to IRS
IRS statement released to Fox 2 News Detroit
Turbo Tax forums
Yahoo Answers