Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 years ago

Since most Mexicans have Native American ancestry, shouldn't they have the right to live in the United States?

They had their land stolen from them, and yet they are the "illegal immigrants" for not going through immigration systems set up by foreign intruders on their land? What if they were the ones demanding the rest of the U.S. population go through their immigration systems or be deported to the home country of their ancestors? Would you follow through?

Update:

I believe Mexicans are entitled to live in the United States because most of them have ancestors who lived on the land before any of the European conquerors.

Update 2:

Your family chose to move away from the Netherlands. Our families didn't chose to be separated from our tribes by a border created by foreigners.

Update 3:

Mexico is part of North America.

Update 4:

I can't believe the racist stereotyping going on. You assume letting Mexicans live in the U.S. freely means that crime rates will rise? I find that very offensive.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

yup, you would think...sad huh? They are great people!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • No. The land that the Mexicans with indigenous ancestry are indigenous to, is in modern day Mexico.....not the US. They don't have Native American ancestry.....they have Native Mexican ancestry. Native American is a legal term defined as the citizens of tribal Nations within the US. Not Canada. Not Mexico. Not Peru. etc.

I am a Native from Canada.......while I legally do have the right via the Jay Treaty to live and work in the US, should that treaty not have ever taken place, then I would have no rights to live in the US, even though my Nation spans both sides of the Canadian/American border. Things are different now that there are modern borders in place.

Even before Canada, Mexico and the US were formed, one Native Nation wouldn't just move into another's lands, without expecting resistance or a fight. So no, Mexicans......especially since many are not even aware of which tribe in Mexico their Native ancestry may have come from......do not have any right to live illegally in the US, and claim it is because they are indigenous.

Whether or not illegal immigration is a hypocritical issue or not, is another question entirely.

Source(s): Ojibwe....from Canada....so not a Native American either.
  • 8 years ago

Everybody wants to narrow their argument to what suits their agenda, and fix national borders from a time frame that does the same.

They did not have their land "stolen" from them, like every other people who every existed, they could not hold onto it when threatened by a superior force. Nothing new here. Nothing unique about it.

The people who took it are dead, and the people who had it taken from them are dead. These are incontrovertible facts.

Immigrations laws where "invented" and since then every sovereign nation changes them. Everyone is subject to the laws in place , now. Any comparisons to other times, is irrelevant. At any rate Mexico has some of the most strict and racist immigration policies in North or South America, You must have no idea how they treat their Latino "brothers" when they are found in Mexico.

I assume that since this topic seems dear to you, in a show of good faith, you will give up your home, job, social benefits to a deserving illegal. After all good leaders lead by example

• Raelyn
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

A Mexican of Nahuatl, Mixtec, or other Mesoamerican ancestry has no heritage claim on any US state. The Spanish killed off or enslaved the Native American tribes.of the US southwest before repopulating the conquered lands with Mexican and American settlers. The few tribes whose ancestral lands straddled the US-Mexican border have special treaty rights. Mexicans who complain about stolen lands are like a thief who complains when another thief breaks into his garage and steals his loot.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Since most Mexicans have Native American ancestry, so you mean to say illegal mexicans, should be allowed on Native American Reservations ? You do know many Indian tribes were at war against each other. The Native Americans were in a near constant state of warfare with one another, many tribes became extinct and disappeared even before Columbus, as a result of tribal conflict. Basically as cultures of nomadic hunter gatherers they were in constant competition over hunting grounds, with the stronger tribes exercising their control over the more fertile areas. Not only did these tribes compete for food but also it became common practice to raid one another for women and slaves. Inbreeding in many tribes was a severe problem and child mortality rates were extremely high.

The violent and long wars that the Mayans had fought contributed greatly to their decline, and the Aztec's had a violent history of near continuous warfare.

.So which tribes are you saying mexicans belong to ?

• C
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Nope.

I have Dutch ancestry. Should I go over to holland and throw a fit demanding native land rights and bullshit like that?

Edit:

You are not entitled to anything.

It is 2012. We have established sovereign borders and federal laws. And while you are at it, why don't you Mexicans throw this much of a fit over what the Spanish did to you? Go cry about entitlement to that former imperial power. Any clue what I am talking about?

• 8 years ago

So by this reasoning, Mexico should allow Guatemalans on its land (Chiapas MX was at one point part of Guatemala). Instead it mistreats and abuses Guatemalan immigrants. Either way the choices made by our ancestors were theirs to make, and yours to live with. The borders are there and I am grateful. Look what Mexico has done with it's nice chunk of North America...drug trafficking, and a corrupt government have made it a nightmare. So, we should open America's borders so this can freely jump into our land. Tell you what, you open your doors to convicts and let us know how it goes.

• Leo
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

"Mexico is part of North America."

North American is made up of 23 countries, one of which is the United States. Mexico is another so they are already where you claim they are entitled to be.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

So based upon that reasoning, all persons of Native American heritage should be excluded from all political boundaries in the Americas.

I personally would like to see ALL corruption everywhere eliminated so that there would be no political boundaries.

http://eliminate-all-corruption.pbwiki.com

• 8 years ago

Mexicans are not related to North American Natives

• 8 years ago

I wish!!! The white men took over our land..the great america!! Not just u.s.

Source(s): I BELIEVE IN ME....
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.