First motorcycle either Honda Rebel or Harley 833 iron?

I'm tending toward the harley thinking that its slightly higher engine size will allow me to use it for a few years. I have driven standard vehicles and bicycles so I have good knowledge of manual transmissions. And riding the bicycle long distance I do know the dangers of a small vehicle on the road. I am... show more I'm tending toward the harley thinking that its slightly higher engine size will allow me to use it for a few years.

I have driven standard vehicles and bicycles so I have good knowledge of manual transmissions. And riding the bicycle long distance I do know the dangers of a small vehicle on the road. I am planning on taking a course at the local community college

the Honda looks like a nice bike but the Harley seems a bit more sturdy and would be nicer bike for daily running around town or short haul road trips.

does anyone have any pro and con opinion on which bike I should go for
Update: I'm 49 years old so I would rather not have a tiny bike.
Update 2: I am canadian too lol but like I said am tending to the harley even though its more costly I like the style..
Update 3: thank you all for your answers Its been alot of help actually..

I read that both the 833 and the rebel are good first bikes and the information about the kit is very helpful too
Update 4: since I am 49 I tend to like the designs from that time.. I love the round headlight cars like the TR6 and the 833 in 2012 looks like it has a nice design... for my eyes ... I like the newer handle bar they have on it ... and I like the detail put into its manufacture ...( yeah I know Im new but I am also not... show more since I am 49 I tend to like the designs from that time.. I love the round headlight cars like the TR6 and the 833 in 2012 looks like it has a nice design... for my eyes ... I like the newer handle bar they have on it ...

and I like the detail put into its manufacture ...( yeah I know Im new but I am also not young so I am not going to take it out racing and want to take it on roads that are less used and at times when its more likely I will have little or no traffic to deal with and I wont be trying to do wheelies and spin outs . I am also planning on taking the course about driving motorcycles ....

My other reason as the one person did state for picking a harley too is that is is made in america, which does help the economy here and we know it needs a bit of help..

I am not fashion conscious for me the harley is not a fashion statement, I am thinking more of an investment. I am thinking of being able to get replacement parts for it a few years from now if I need it... I am