Is there enough CO2 on Earth to make the atmosphere 1% CO2?

A climate skeptic recently opined that there wasn't enough CO2 on Earth to make the atmospheric CO2 concentration 1% by volume. However, there is an estimated 3.5 x 10^23 grams of carbonate rock on the planet. The mass of the atmosphere is 5 x 10^21 grams. So there is about 100 times more carbonate rock than... show more A climate skeptic recently opined that there wasn't enough CO2 on Earth to make the atmospheric CO2 concentration 1% by volume. However, there is an estimated 3.5 x 10^23 grams of carbonate rock on the planet. The mass of the atmosphere is 5 x 10^21 grams. So there is about 100 times more carbonate rock than there is gas in the atmosphere. Normalizing for the number of moles of each and assuming all the carbonate is present as CaCO3, factoring in the difference in molecular weights, this works out to about 10 times as many moles of CO2 available as there are moles of atmosphere, meaning it would take 1/1000 of the total CO2 available as carbonate to make the atmosphere 1% CO2 (and that is neglecting the amount of CO2 available in the deep ocean).

So, the skeptic clearly didn't know what he was talking about. Given this lack of understanding of some very basic geology and ability to do simple arithmetic, how can we trust the ability of climate skeptics to evaluate anything about the science related to climate?

http://www.scopenvironment.org/downloadp...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_...
Update: XG: When you're in a hole, stop digging. I would stick to responding to questions that don't require having taken chemistry in high school to understand.
Update 2: XG: When you're in a hole, stop digging. I would stick to responding to questions that don't require having taken chemistry in high school to understand.
Update 3: JFC Jim, are you insane? Are you really a geologist? WTF? You *really* want to claim that carbonate rocks don't have recoverable CO2 in them? Really? I mean, before this I was willing to believe you knew maybe a little about rocks (although my hunch is you mostly know about things like soil compaction and... show more JFC Jim, are you insane? Are you really a geologist? WTF? You *really* want to claim that carbonate rocks don't have recoverable CO2 in them? Really? I mean, before this I was willing to believe you knew maybe a little about rocks (although my hunch is you mostly know about things like soil compaction and placement of drainage fields for septic systems), but that answer is baffling to me. Crack open one of your elementary geology texts and find out how the White Cliffs of Dover formed. Now, I'm going to snicker even harder when you claim you are a scientist.

CR: What the hell are you talking about? Mole fraction in the gas phase at these temperatures and pressures is a very good approximation for volume fraction. PV=nRT and all that.

And Dave, read for comprehension. The statement was whether there was enough available CO2 in total, not whether existing hydrocarbon sources, when combusted, would produce enough CO2.

Anyone who thinks 1% total CO2 is not possi