Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is withdrawing my US citizenship a tedious process?

I've been lately thinking about it. Please do not be rude.

I ain't avoiding militar service or taxes or criminal charges.

I hold another ctizenship.

• Ed

Easy process. Do not expect to continue residing in the US. http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenshi...

Not really.

You would renounce your US citizenship at the US consulate in Ciudad Juarez or Mexico City. Get a Certificate of Tax Compliance from the IRS before you leave the United States. Know that you will never be allowed to set foot on US soil again.

Couldn't you take about a million of your best friends with you to Mexico?

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live in the charming old mission town San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • blahh

Nope. You just go to a US embassy and you can renounce your citizenship.

Very easy actually. However you will be taxed for exiting.

Goodbye