AJ
AJ asked in SportsCycling · 4 years ago

Bike Helmet - With or Without Visor?

Have never bought a bike helmet before, but the cycling club I am looking to join requires a helmet. So do I get one with or without a visor?

• John M

Most visors are removable. Most mountain cyclists use visors they are not that common on the road.

For road riding with or without a visor is fine. More important is that the helmet have a comfortable fit. Visors are useful in the woods, they offer extra protection against low hanging branches, I can attest to this from personal experience. If you buy a helmet with a visor, you can remove it if you prefer for riding on the road where the lower riding position can cause the visor to block some of your forward vision

It is a matter of preference. Most helmets visors' are removable. So get the helmet that fits well, comfortable, and has good ventilation.

Soccerref

Purely a personal decision. It's been claimed that MTB helmets use a visor to deflect low hanging tree limbs & such. Can also shield the eyes. But so will a good pair of sunglasses.

I doubt anyone will poke fun at you no matter which style you choose. The important thing is to use it.