What do I do?

My sister and I were going shopping this morning and found a small turtle in the middle of the road, we turned the car around (at the same time as a truck with trailer passed it). The turtle let us pick him up and bring him to our house where we are looking to care for it. The shell is smashed in on one side.... show more My sister and I were going shopping this morning and found a small turtle in the middle of the road, we turned the car around (at the same time as a truck with trailer passed it). The turtle let us pick him up and bring him to our house where we are looking to care for it.

The shell is smashed in on one side. He/she is bleeding, I'm guessing from under the shell from it being pushed in but can't tell because the blood is on his stomach part and around the head.

I'm worried to touch him because I don't know if it is a snapping turtle or not. My sister is asking if we could keep it as a pet as well?