What is the point of handicap parking spaces?

I see way, way too many people I catch that have a plaque card and they are not handicap. Probably for the person that is handicap but doesn't matter. Man times I don't see it hanging in their mirror nor has a handicap license plate. Besides, why do we really need handicap parking spaces? If you are going... show more I see way, way too many people I catch that have a plaque card and they are not handicap. Probably for the person that is handicap but doesn't matter. Man times I don't see it hanging in their mirror nor has a handicap license plate.

Besides, why do we really need handicap parking spaces? If you are going to the store and need to get up closer because of your condition you realize you are going to have to walk or roll or use a can or walker or what have you anyways all over the place? So maybe you should stop being so selfish and let the people that want to park up close first come first serve?