Just found out that Medicare Part B is going up to $134 from $109 for income under 85K per year. It never jumps more than a few dollars. WTF?

Update: Is there any help to pay for the new Part B premiums if you dont have Medicaid?
Update 2: ELAINE: How does Mr. Trump's proposals cause a jump in Medicare Part B premiums? Medicare is still going to foot the bill for most of the billed charges.
Update 3: ELAINE: Medical costs keep going up. That has nothing to do with the White House.
Update 4: I checked with someone at HICAP to find an answer. The only help to pay Part B is through Medicaid (or Medicare Savings program) but my income is a bit too high to qualify in all 3 categories.
Update 5: CURTISPORTS: The point is that I wont be better off in 2018 despite the increase in Social Security, my income will be exactly the same as it is now due to higher Part B. And my Advantage Plan will cost $106 per month in addition to Part B. The Medigap plan is costly at $80 a month, so if I had straight Medicare... show more CURTISPORTS: The point is that I wont be better off in 2018 despite the increase in Social Security, my income will be exactly the same as it is now due to higher Part B. And my Advantage Plan will cost $106 per month in addition to Part B. The Medigap plan is costly at $80 a month, so if I had straight Medicare with a Medigap it would be just as tough to pay as my current Advantage plan.
Update 6: JBSILVER: I did pay into the system for 40 years. You seem to follow what I posted. Thanks. I dont know how I will be able to pay for the Advantage plan which will be $106 monthly on top of $134 in January. Plus co-payments and co-insurance. But we are forced to pay for Part D if not in an Advantage plan. I could... show more JBSILVER: I did pay into the system for 40 years. You seem to follow what I posted. Thanks. I dont know how I will be able to pay for the Advantage plan which will be $106 monthly on top of $134 in January. Plus co-payments and co-insurance. But we are forced to pay for Part D if not in an Advantage plan. I could have straight Medicare and go to a county clinic but there is waiting list to become a patient. The Medigap premiums are around $80 a month so I have to skip that.
Update 7: A lot of younger people dont know that Medicare pays only up to 80%, and sometimes less, of billed charges. And, since it leaves 20% uncovered, you have to purchase a supplement (Medigap) plan which in my county is $80 a month. AND we also have to pay co-payments, co-insurance and with straight Medicare a $1200... show more A lot of younger people dont know that Medicare pays only up to 80%, and sometimes less, of billed charges. And, since it leaves 20% uncovered, you have to purchase a supplement (Medigap) plan which in my county is $80 a month. AND we also have to pay co-payments, co-insurance and with straight Medicare a $1200 hospital deductible. Some people confuse Medicare with Medicaid. And even Medicaid is not always 100% covered. Many jurisdictions have share of cost.
Update 8: ANONYMOUS: The increase in Social Security retirement used to offset any Medicare increase but no more. And the Part B is covers up to 80% so we still have to cover 20% by private insurance (Medigap) or an Advantage plan which costs me $110 a month. Plus the deductibles and co-pays. When you have a low income but... show more ANONYMOUS: The increase in Social Security retirement used to offset any Medicare increase but no more. And the Part B is covers up to 80% so we still have to cover 20% by private insurance (Medigap) or an Advantage plan which costs me $110 a month. Plus the deductibles and co-pays. When you have a low income but not low enough for Medicaid, it is hard to pay all this. Hope you understand.
11 answers 11