How do you cope with rejection at work?

I have recently completed my sign off for becoming a Chartered Engineer. However when I had my meeting with my Mentor, he said that realistically I am still two years away from going for my review as I lack skills in engineering principles to do stuff on my own. Initially I though it would be next year. Everyone in... show more I have recently completed my sign off for becoming a Chartered Engineer. However when I had my meeting with my Mentor, he said that realistically I am still two years away from going for my review as I lack skills in engineering principles to do stuff on my own. Initially I though it would be next year.
Everyone in my family thinks I should go for my review next year but everyone who is responsible for my development, including my line manager say that if I go next year, even with the right work, I will fail in my review. That was last week and since then I've been crumbling into a nervous wreck and avoiding friends and family by saying I'm too busy working, whilst saving face in front of my girlfriend who has been pushing the most for me to go for my review.
Normally I can get back on my feet and find a solution but for this I have no plan. Can anyone help?