Why does the government not set a strategy to educate and train millions of unemployed & homeless people to gain skills to secure employment?

In the UK? There are many immigrants who arrived to the UK in the 70s who still do not know a word of English and have never been employed their whole life, they just claim welfare. We have many chavs and homeless people in the UK who do not work and claim welfare too. We either 1) Make welfare recipients work... show more In the UK?

There are many immigrants who arrived to the UK in the 70s who still do not know a word of English and have never been employed their whole life, they just claim welfare. We have many chavs and homeless people in the UK who do not work and claim welfare too.

We either

1) Make welfare recipients work to receive their check. There are always community service projects that need doing, they should have to work a certain number of hours picking up litter or helping out in a soup kitchen of something of that nature instead of just getting a free ride. It would build their self esteem, since they would actually be giving back instead of just completely depending on the system. I know there are some who have disabilities, but I'm sure there is a job they could do, even if it's just filing or something low key. I think this would also force some of the lazier recipents to just get a job since there would be no free ride anymore.

OR

2) The government should set out a strategy to improve the opportunities for unemployed people. Provide them with education and training, so they can gain the skills they need to secure an apprenticeship or employment.

What do you think?
9 answers 9