If I have a 5 year university degree and my colleague has a 2 year mechanical design degree how can he get more money than I do?

I recently started at a consulting agency and we will both start our assignments next week. It's the same company but two different jobs. I will work as a mechanical designer and assist the main engineers with various drawing, models and work with CAD/CAM programs. I'll also do calculations and things like... show more I recently started at a consulting agency and we will both start our assignments next week. It's the same company but two different jobs. I will work as a mechanical designer and assist the main engineers with various drawing, models and work with CAD/CAM programs. I'll also do calculations and things like that. I have a masters degree in engineering.

My colleague has a 2 year associates degree but he has more experience. He has worked 4-5 years after school. He has more experience with production and working with his hands. He will work as a production coordinator and will try to bridge the gab between the engineering department and production and he will also do risk analysis and try to minimize errors in the assembling process.

I am not saying that he shouldn't get more pay or that he doesn't deserve it. I am just surprised that despite all my years in school he gets 40 percent more than I get. It's a lot of money. Is it normally like that?
13 answers 13