Will my ex win?

I am a single mother of 3 children. My oldest is my daughter she is going to be 8 in March. Her father was my bf at the time. I dropped out of high school because her father refused to work and pay for anything she needed. When my daughter was born she was born with a birth defect that later in life lead to... show more I am a single mother of 3 children. My oldest is my daughter she is going to be 8 in March.
Her father was my bf at the time. I dropped out of high school because her father refused to work and pay for anything she needed. When my daughter was born she was born with a birth defect that later in life lead to surgeries and long term health problems. When my daughter was 2 my ex would lock her in her room (with a baby gate) on the 2nd floor so he could spend hours on his PS3 down stairs in the living room all while I worked.
My ex left my daughter and I the August after she turned 2. For almost 6 years now he has not once tried to reach out to us. Never once sent a single dollar to us. I had to spend several nights in the hospital by her bedside alone after the surgires mentioned above. She has never met him and does not know him. In the beginning when he left she’d talk to him on the phone the best a 2 yr old could but that lasted maybe a month before the calls stopped coming in and he changed his number.
Last night while at work I received a visit. I was served with custody papers from him. He lives in Florida and I live in Connecticut. I am so worried that I am going to lose my daughter. I can’t afford a lawyer. All of my money goes to raising my children, getting bills paid, making sure they are fed and clothed and all their needs are taken care of. Is there any chance that he could win this after he has been gone all these years? I’m devistated please help me.