I owe about $5000 in federal and state taxes this year as a college student on financial aid. Is this normal?

so I have a pretty significant financial aid package, and a couple of outside scholarships that cover my work study requirement (which means I don't have to work). Now, I don't work so my only income is my financial aid. However, I am basically being taxed on money that's given to me because I... show more so I have a pretty significant financial aid package, and a couple of outside scholarships that cover my work study requirement (which means I don't have to work). Now, I don't work so my only income is my financial aid.

However, I am basically being taxed on money that's given to me because I don't have money, so I am expected to pay money that I don't have on money that's given to me because I don't have money? How does this make sense, or am I missing something?