Why do people still buy mechanical watches?

"I don’t understand why anyone would buy anything other than a watch with a quartz movement. They an order of magnitude cheaper, require no maintenance, and keep much better time (they only lose or gain, at most, 0.5 seconds per day). The best mechanical watch gains or loses 3 seconds per day, making a quartz... show more "I don’t understand why anyone would buy anything other than a watch with a quartz movement. They an order of magnitude cheaper, require no maintenance, and keep much better time (they only lose or gain, at most, 0.5 seconds per day). The best mechanical watch gains or loses 3 seconds per day, making a quartz movement, by my calculations, six times more accurate.

To me, this is analogous to people spending three times more money to purchase a slide ruler as opposed to a calculator. Before calculators were invented, slide rulers were common, and the high end of the market produced wonderfully detailed, intricate, and useful models (and they could get expensive, depending on the features). Today, calculators are cheap, easy to use, and much more accurate and precise than slide rulers. However, you don’t see people spending $200 on a slide ruler, bragging that it is a purely mechanical device and therefore contains “old world craftsmanship”.

So why buy a mechanical watch? "
17 answers 17