Why isn't the air conditioning working?

I'm a student at Phoenix Job Corps Center, and the water main broke outside of the residential building. Now the air conditioning doesn't work. I thought that meant we were still using swamp cooling (which uses water vapor to cool air and then directs the air into the building), but the RA says that the... show more I'm a student at Phoenix Job Corps Center, and the water main broke outside of the residential building. Now the air conditioning doesn't work. I thought that meant we were still using swamp cooling (which uses water vapor to cool air and then directs the air into the building), but the RA says that the building uses modern air conditioning and the refrigeration unit isn't working because there isn't any water. I'm confused. I thought air conditioning worked by compressing air or something like that and didn't require water. And refrigerators don't need to be hooked up to a water supply unless you have an ice maker. Why would the refrigeration unit for an air conditioner need water?
9 answers 9