Did I do the wrong thing?

I am a Doctor of 3 years. I had a patient come in today saying she had cramps in her stomach, but I had to attend an emergency as a mother came in to the surgery with her 7 month old baby who was ill. I said to the patient, " I need to attend an emergency, if I am not back in about 10 minutes, go to the... show more I am a Doctor of 3 years. I had a patient come in today saying she had cramps in her stomach, but I had to attend an emergency as a mother came in to the surgery with her 7 month old baby who was ill.

I said to the patient, " I need to attend an emergency, if I am not back in about 10 minutes, go to the computer at my desk and prescribe yourself some pepto bismol and press print. Your records are up on the screen."

She kind of looked at me in a strange way and said "okay" quietly. I don't normally attend emergencies but on this particular day I had to.

I know some of you are reading this thinking "What kind of doctor does this?" I know it sounds a bit crazy, but that woman came in a few weeks before her appointment today and it turned out to be an upset stomach, so I thought it would be very likely that it would be the same thing.