If faith is belief without evidence, then why do people dispute this when it comes to the presence of God? Ex: Why do they try to prove?

To have faith in God is, in essence to believe that He exists, without any evidence that He exists. So with this being the case, I am confused as to why some people refuse to just accept it for what it is, as opposed to trying to go a step further and find evidence that God does exist. This is almost like a... show more To have faith in God is, in essence to believe that He exists, without any evidence that He exists. So with this being the case, I am confused as to why some people refuse to just accept it for what it is, as opposed to trying to go a step further and find evidence that God does exist. This is almost like a contradiction of the very idea of what God is, as if saying that a person of faith does not actually believe that He exists or has doubt, since they are trying to prove that he exists. It would be like me saying that I have faith that Santa Claus is real, but instead of just taking comfort in the fact that I believe it, I was concerned about the fact that other people didn't believe it, which suggests a measure of uncertainty on my part that he actually does exist. Furthermore, none of this changes what it is to have faith in God, Santa Claus, etc. But rather it does nothing but show that some people are lacking the faith that they claim to have in these people. There is nothing wrong with believing in God, without having any evidence that he exists, and if someone thinks that there is a problem with it then chances are that they are not truly a person of faith or religion, as opposed to one who is agnostic or something similar to it. Or either they misunderstand what it is to have faith, or they are not comfortable with it.