What are acoustic noise cancelling headphones?

I know there are active and passive noise cancelling headphones. But i found a pair if headbphones that claims to be acoustic noise cancelling headphones. Never heard of these types of headphone before

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Best answer

acoustic, in this case, is just a filler word. it refers to the fact that it deals with sound...which ALL headphones do. so it is redundant.

if it doesn't specify, it is usually active, not passive noise cancelling.

this might help explain:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_h...

• Shon
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

The bad signal can be the reason.

• 7 months ago

Near as I can tell, it is Bose speak for Active Noise Cancelling, where they listen to the environment and generate a wave that is the opposite of that environment. Works better for lower frequencies and is pretty good on airplanes.

• 7 months ago

they probably cancel noise

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Sound travels in waves. They have a positive side and a negative side. The waves can have different shapes. They can move slow and you hear a low hum, or faster and you hear a high pitch.

Noise cancelling headphone use one or more microphones on the outside to receive the noise - along with a microphone on the inside of the headset. The outside mics are used to duplicate the noise and a simple circuit inverts it...… big positive waves are made into big negative waves, etc etc. The inside mics tell the circuit how loud/how much of the inverted signal should be inject to properly cancel the noise.

Passive models simply use a basic circuit to grab the noise, invert it, and inject it. They are about never 100% noise canceling.

Active models need a battery and really, really good insulation because after the circuit dicks with the sound it is a tiny bit delayed. Hearing even a small amount of the real noise mixed with the delayed signal is very annoying.

Acoustic models run the sound down a gauntlet of tuned cavities. Bouncing off of obtuse angles allows the sound to change phase and can cancel out noise. These are especially good for constant noise - like working around a very noisy electric motor or engine.

There is more to this. Allot more. Its also all online. There are audio engineers that do nothing but comb rooms and buildings to PA and music actually sounds nice. I helped design an audio system for an international airport - we brought in such a technician. He worked with the building designers to change the size of rooms and location of walls so normal conversation would not carry, and, chose the precise locations for speakers that made the music and PA system sound just awesome. People who do this kind of work - are the ones who design the noise cancelling headphones.

• 7 months ago

It is meaningless Bose hype.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.