I understand that someone crying on every episode of reality television gets higher ratings, and that's why they do it, but my ? is....why?!?

Personally, when I'm watching a reality show, and someone starts bawling, or getting overly emotional, I tend to change the channel. It's annoying, and I don't care to hear about, say, someone's dysfunctional family, or some horrible menory from the past, that they choose to disclose on national... show more Personally, when I'm watching a reality show, and someone starts bawling, or getting overly emotional, I tend to change the channel. It's annoying, and I don't care to hear about, say, someone's dysfunctional family, or some horrible menory from the past, that they choose to disclose on national television.

Supposedly this is the stuff that gets the ratings, but my question is, why? Why do people like to watch that kind of stuff? If I'm watching, for example, a cooking competition, I want to see the skills and techniques and human creativity...not someone crying for 5 minutes about how some tragic event that inspired him, etc.

Even competition shows are not immune from this. So, while I understand that these displays of emotions supposedly get ratings, my question is...why?! Why do people like watching other people being overly emotional at inappropriate times?
0