Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Are both grammatically correct?

1. I want to go to Joe’s party, but instead I’m stuck studying.

2. I wanted to go to Joe’s party, but instead I’m stuck studying.

I should use wanted or want?

Both are grammatical. It depends on whether you are talking about what you want now or what you wanted in the past (like when you were invited to the party).

• GEEGEE

I want if the party hasn't happened yet or is happening now.

I wated is the past tense, so the party happened already.

• geezer

You use WANT if the party hasn't happened yet .. and WANTED if it's happening now.

If you use 'I'm,' it is a contraction for 'I am' which is the present tense of the verb 'To Be.' So, your sentence has to have subject/verb agreement throughout. You need to write '...I want to go...' and 'I am stuck...'

If this was something that happened in the past, you would write that you 'wanted to go,' but you 'were stuck studying.' Just a matter of good sentence construction, you do not need 'but' and 'instead' together. EX--using the present tense: 'I want to go to Joe's party, but I am stuck studying.' OR, 'I wanted to go to Joe's party; instead, I am stuck studying.'

I wanted to go to Joe’s party, but instead I’m stuck studying.

They can both be correct.

In the first, you still want to go to the party, and can't accept that you have to study.

In the second, you have accepted that you can't go.

This is completely unimportant. Why don't you focus on the important stuff.

You wrote "I should use wanted or want?"

You put the subject BEFORE the VERB in a QUESTION.

THAT is the BIG MISTAKE here. THAT is what's IMPORTANT.

Both are correct grammatically,the first sentence,s telling some thing in a present time.Second sentence with wanted,or with the adjunction of I wanted,is saying when I am going about,to be joining to Joe,s,in past or present.

Use want , it’s or I was wanting

sort of a mood setting choice in your writing; and a timing issue. #1 - Joe'e party is in progress right now, and you cannot fulfill your desire to go. #2 - more like you have (maybe even sadly) repressed your desire to go to Joe's party / you are ruing (regretting, sad about it right now) that you cannot go to the party - which is happening right now [ "I am stuck" is present tense.]