Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Not at fault in accident but parents still want to ground me?

I'm 17 and yesterday I left school and started driving to work (I work a a 7-11). On the way there, this guy came over the double yellow and hit me head on. I have dashcam video to prove it. Anyway, after the police came and I called my parents and everything, they decided that they want to ground me and ban me from driving until further notice EVEN THOUGH THE POLICE REPORT SAID THE OTHER DRIVER WAS AT FAULT AND I HAVE VIDEO TO BACK IT UP. When I asked them to please explain their decision, they got pissed and told me not to question their decision. As previously mentioned, I work, so even though my parents pay the insurance because I'm not old enough to get a plan in my name, I reimburse them every month. I also paid for the car, so it's not like they're losing any money. Someone please help me to make sense of why they are grounding me?

Perhaps they are just worried for you

Don't argue but let it stand for a while

When they calm down perhaps they will realise how mature you can be

Make sure your insurance company gets a copy of the video.

No sense needs to be made. You are a minor living in their house under their rules. Once you are a legal adult and can support yourself living independently, you are free from their rules.

you have no car anyway .

I have no idea, but I don't know your parent/child relationship prior to the accident.

What the Police say is immaterial. What do the insurance companies say?

Source(s): adjuster