Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 10 months ago

Am I right or is my manager?

So we usually get our next weeks schedule every Monday and when I got it, it said I m working 5-10 next Tuesday. So I went in on tuesday and when I got there another manager (Who doesn t create the schedule) asked what I was doing there and I said because I was scheduled. She showed me that they changed the schedule the day before and didn t tell me and that I have to leave. So I left, pissed that they wasted my time and didn t update me so I messaged the head manager in charge of making the schedule and she told me that its MY PROBLEM to know if im working even though I wasn t into work the day they changed it and they always send pictures of it in our group chat. I told her I have to get paid at least 3 hours because she didn t tell me 24 hours in advance (Its the law) or to at least pay for my commute (It cost me $11. Not that much but it still cost me). She said no and told me to stop messaging her. I have to go into work tonight and see her so I m just wondering if im in the right.

• Carmen

Unfortunately when dealing with jobs management etc they will always try to defend their position and actions so if you decide to stay at this job double check schedule call before coming in write it down for your proof and pray over matter if it’s not worth the hassle decide if it’s feasible to leave keep a calm heart and peace of mind. 

You should have been told but you are not going to be paid because you were not.

It sounds like you demanded to be paid based on some law that you probably can't produce. So yeah, you were wrong to address this while "pissed".

• Kaz

That's a lousy thing to do to you.  I would have expected notification of any change.  Having said that, if they post it on a "group chat," I'd check it every day to be sure of my hours - especially if it cost $11.00 to get there. 

I've never treated an employee that way, or been treated that way myself, I'd be looking for a new job.  Most employers are much more considerate of their employee's.

• martin

Of course you're right and you have the right to talk with your manager and ask for compensation for those 3 hours. The problem is that management can ride rough-shod over labor where there's no Union protection.

• Judy

No. sorry but you're not. They can change the schedule. And the reporting time payment is due only if you were still scheduled.

• y

Legally, I have no idea, state laws come into play in this situation. Morally, ethically, they are wrong. Sudden change like that and at the very least, you should have been notified. They should not have changed it without consulting with you first, that is **** poor management skills. 

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for another job. That is a small example, but a very powerful one of the type of people that are running that shop. They are not people i would want to work for nor, have working for me.

If they provided the updated schedule via a group chat and you are able to access this off-site, then you should have looked at it.

MA & RI are the only states that have a 3-hour reporting law.  Neither of these states have a law that you must be given 24 hours notice before a change.

- If you are in one of those states you would get 3 hours IF you were scheduled and then didn't work.  You weren't scheduled. 

In this situation, you are both wrong.

It is wrong of management at any employer to change schedules and not inform the employees. But the fact that its wrong (bad employment practice) does not make it illegal.

So in that sense, you are wrong for making demands that you be paid a minimum amount of hours or a cost of commuting.

I don't know of any law that requires them to pay you for 3 hours or for the cost of your commute. If any such law exists in your area you will need to look that up yourself.

The bottom line is that if you push this issue you're going to get fired. You need to RESPECTFULLY ask your manager what method you can use to verify the schedule prior to each shift. They cannot reasonably expect you to just know when to show up. They need to post it online, send it to you, or whatever, and provide you with a method of keeping you updated if changes occur.

If the managers can't bother to tell you when to report to work, then you should start looking for a new job.