Should I leave my job?

I've found out that I'm at least 14K underpaid compared to my other co-workers. I run my program, manage an entire caseload and now they want to add other responsbilities to my plate. I'm already stressed out and I only make 15/hr. My successor made 14K more than me and I do the same thing she does. Now they want me to train other people who make more than me. BTW, I've been working at the job for nearly 5 years so ive been there longer than others yet still little money. Next month is review time so pay will be a subject. If they don't give me a fair salary, should I just leave the job? This is really weighing on my mind

• Carmen

Anything weighing on your mind and heart pray over it because stress can kill you literally among other damaging effects a wise person sees danger and conceals themselves right is right research other opportunities ask around use any contacts available for resources no one should be misused because of their abilities. 

don't quit over money without first documenting everything you do do. then demand a raise. you get paid the salary you accept from your employer. this is the largest part of the gender wage gap too.

• Eva

Prepare yourself well for the review. State your accomplishments and talk about the additional duties assigned. If they don't bring it up, state what you feel would be a fair raise. If they deny it, ask what you have to do to get it. If their answers are unsatisfactory start looking for a new job. Don't quit until you have another one lined up.

• Judy

Find another job first where you make what you think you should make. But expecting your job to give you a 47% raise is totally unrealistic. Did you have the same education and job experience as your predecessor and your coworkers?

Start looking.  Given your experience and the low unemployment rate, you should be able to be snapped up by someone else and get a very sweet raise.  Much easier than convincing your current employer you deserve a raise.

• Kyle

don't leave until you have another job offer.  so start applying.  when companies ask why you're leaving your current job, you can say they haven't shown interest in keeping you since you aren't getting paid more after five years.  then, if you do get an offer, you can inform your current job and see if they will match or better it.

don't tell your current employer you're looking for other opportunities.  even if you think you have a good relationship with them, you will never know if they will fire you prematurely because they think you aren't that loyal too them.

Sympathize, my wife was in this situation. You've described word-for-word what she went through, combined with pressure of meeting targets. You could try look at it in terms of 'gaining experience' in your field for the time being, while looking for new work? Additionally, you could talk to your employer first and try to meet a resolution(?) My wife took a slight pay cut and increase in hours but she is much happier with her new job which is easy. Weigh up whether all the stress is really worth it, stress is a killer!

Source(s): Jesus christ I cant type today

thats up to you if you want to leave or not but i would get another job first