What car should I get?

2011 BMW x3 or 2013 Mercedes Benz ML350?

I want a car that is reliable and has good performance

If you want reliability pick a Toyota

I'd go Mercedes-Benz, but that's just my preference.

• Jay P

Which ML350, the gas or the Bluetec diesel?

Get a Lexus.  It will still be running when Alabama bans college football.

My bro in law is a BMW mechanic; he doesn't live near me.  I was thinking of getting a BMW and he said I should only get one if I was close, personal friends with a BMW mechanic.  He said the same applied to Mercedes, and to a slightly less extent, Audis.  

I owned a VW Eos as a second car, and didn't trust it to go more than 50 miles from home.  Germans cars are great, when they are great. When they aren't, they are horrifically expensive.  If you want a luxury performance car, consider an Infiniti or a Lexus. Or even an Accord or Camry with a premium engine.  I've had an Accord coupe with a V-6, and two Camry's with V-6 engines.  They may not be quite as quick as some BMWs and Mercedes, but they have all been trouble free, and get to 60 in under 6 seconds. 

• Ron

Your list is short and pathetic. I wouldn't consider either of those

• Niko

Get the one that has been well-maintained. German cars, in theory, are reliable IF they are maintained correctly. 

Don't buy either one if you don't have deep pockets. They are not cheap to maintain and repair.

Neither. Those cars are built to dazzle. Not to last (unless you want to pour tons of money into them). 

Get you a mustang. They are durable and easy to fix. 

Source(s): 79