how do you hand in a letter of resignation?

So I’m going to be resigning from my job tomorrow, effectively immediately, with my last day being the 4 hour shift in my schedule for tomorrow. My manager leaves 30 minutes after my shift ends so I’ll most likely give her the letter before I start working, but how should I approach her with it? Like “Here’s my letter of resignation.” or???? 

Update:

I’ve only been employed for a little less than a month, by the way. I’ve only been scheduled for 4 shifts so far.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You're giving them very short (no) notice. They are not going to be happy. It is considered professional to give 2 weeks notice unless extenuating circumstances exist. Ask your manager if she has a minute to talk and then explain why you are leaving so suddenly. Give her the letter after you've discussed it with her. Don't be surprised if you're shown the door immediately.

• 2 months ago

yes, u tell her here is my letter of resignation. nothing is wrong with that.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No notice? That's really rude and juvenile

• mick2 months agoReport

I have to leave so suddenly due to personal family reasons. It’s not because of a whim.

• 2 months ago

Ask if you could speak to her privately and tell her that you are resigning and hand her the letter. However, you must know that resigning effective immediately with no notice to your employer is NOT professional and will probably result in negative feelings and possibly poor references if asked.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Short is good.  “Here’s my letter of resignation” gets the point across.

• Tasm
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Just leave if you are not giving notice.

• 2 months ago

Two weeks is typically the minimum ...so I would start with a sheepish, "I'm so sorry that I wasn't able to give you more notice..." and go from there. Try to salvage any good will that might be present. It's a small world and your manager might turn up elsewhere in the future.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Be nice. Say you like the people you're working with, but you have to...whatever the reason is. Then give the formal letter. She may want to talk with you a while, so do it early in your shift.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

A letter is not needed. You should have told your boss 2 weeks ago. But you have no class.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.