Do you think refrigerator ice makers are a bit too much? Take up too much space, break down too much, cost too much, make too much ice?

Why do all of the refrigerators come with an ice maker? It is nice to have cold water and it is nice to have a tray of ice cubes, but if you need an ice machine why would you mix it up with a refrigerator? Buy a separate ice machine if you need that much ice. Probably the number 1 problem of a refrigerator is the ice machine. Get rid of the ice, add cold water and ice trays of different shapes and sizes, cut the cost of refrigerators and throw in a rebate on an ice machine. American Whirlpool could take over the market.

• Joe
    Favorite Answer

I couldn't agree more. I never hooked up my ice maker for that very reason. I had ice trays but ow I just buy a bag of spring water ice for 2 bucks. It lasts for months.

analogous it is to passenger aviation, boeing and the rest are meticulous in materials and assembly of the engines,,wires harnesses back ups for backups,fire safety,the frame,stress tolerances and durability of the skin.

everything else that the crew needs for passenger services,,food refrigeration,beverages,entertainment,, flight crews for years work with constant failure and problems with everything no about the planes' structure and flight systems,,, ditto with the nice looking burnished steel tough looking 1100  dollar refriges,, except the basic insides often kick the bucket a  year after the warranty goes 402,,freezer parts are plasticplasticplastic,,plastic washers screws

NO, they are not too much. Not all refrigerators have them, but most buyers WANT them, so they won't be going away anytime soon.

Whoah, what a rant. The ice maker is remove-able. Chill out. Some folks in Texas and Florida and Arizona like ice.

• Earleen

We live in Texas and used to fill an ice tea glass with ice to the top. Got tired of fooling with ice makers, got some nice glass bottles and fill them with RO water from the sink.  Into the refrigerator, stopped ice tea, went to cold water. Can't find a purpose of ice.  Easier, simpler.

• C

I suppose it depends on your expectations, priorities and usage.  A lot of people seem very attached to the idea of unlimited ice cubes on demand so they're happy to pay for that and live with the knowledge that the ice cube maker is the weakest part of the fridge unit.  As it happens, I agree with you because the only thing I ever put ice in is a G&T.  Ice in drinks is just not the norm where I live so an ice maker is really just an under used space-waster, but as I said, it depends on the individual's expectations.  I think a large part of the appeal really is the fact that it's built into the fridge, it's more Star Trek than a separate ice making machine.  I wouldn't buy one and would be very annoyed if it were hard to source a fridge without one (luckily manufacturers know their markets) but I've grown out of judging people for doing things differently as long as it doesn't harm others.

• Droopy

Isn't that what the freezer is for?  I wouldn't have a fridge with out a ice maker.  Hell my back up fridge I've turned the whole freeze into a ice bin.

Source(s): My House
    • Earleen

Do you really use the ice or just store ice?  

Nope, not too much at all.  Nice to have ice available.

• Earleen

We got out of the habit. Never miss it.

They don't all come with icemakers. Mine doesn't have one.  In fact, in 42 years of owning refrigerators, I've never had one with an icemaker.

• Nuff Sed

*I* live in the USA and my Sub-Zero fridge has no icemaker. The icemaker is over in the freezer, where it belongs.

I love my ice maker.

I love my ice maker and as long as no one shoves **** into the sensor bar and dislocates it, which they catch **** for doing, it never fails.