why do they make alterations to old music wherever they reissue it now?

i'm really sick of this, whether they put old music from the 60's, 70's and 80's on online digital music services, or online streaming or whether they put the old music tracks on to cd.....the tracks often sound ' different ', not as they originally sounded back when they were first played? like alterations have been made to the music tracks.

like i recently bought a christmas hits music cd album, with all old classic christmas music hits and i was listening to the track ' i believe in father christmas' by the late Greg lake and this version on this new cd sounded altered from the original sound...sounded ''compressed'' and not loud, clear and amplified....like it originally sounded when it was originally played.

i ask; why do these music companies or manufacturers do this to old music hits when they reissue them now?  why can't they give us the music hits as they originally sounded?

id appreciate sensible knowledgeable answers, as i want to know why.

I'm guessing that is the "Now 100" christmas compilation?

In this case I agree totally - one of my friends wanted that for christmas and I happen to still have it here. I've just compared that track to the 1975 original - the one on the compilation is grossly compressed.

I have no idea if it's incompetence, some idiot thinks it sounds better or because they are targeting kids listening on earbuds...

It's not "Remastering", just acoustic butchery.

See below - the left is a section from the original, the right is a similar section from the new compilation:

These ARE remastered often and the sound is compressed. In many cases, this is noticeable. In others, less so. Much of this music would be lost forever to purchasers like us, if it was not done in this way, which is cheaper in every aspect - and still makes its owner $. I had many vinyl recordings that were never reissued in other formats; if we want to hear them (and not rig up or whole turntable and system again - which was of excellent quality when we got it) then I rip them with a USB turntable, clean up what is possible (adult son has Masters degree in digital music and audio tech - had to create that at his grad school) so I am set up as well as we need. Another trade if in life / and as I said - if you know what to get and how to use it, not half bad.

• Tony B

To be honest I can't say I've noticed any difference. Just about everything you listen to now has been “digitised” and it's possible you are especially sensitive to the difference between analogue and digital recordings.