What happens if I put "Signed under protest" under my signature?

My employer has a new stupid policy update and I DO NOT agree.  We are required to purchase cell phones for work that meet company requirements.  They must be capable of talk, text, email, skype then there's something they want to put on it so I can check in/out, some sort of tracking software and something else.

The agreement says that I agree that my employer may check the personal information on my phone at any time including call history, contacts, text messages, pictures and it says that I must give them full access to any information contained on my phone upon request and they can hold my phone for up to 48 hours for purposes of retrieving information.

They tried pulling this crap on me again where a supervisor logs in with my username and password, quickly scrolls through some stuff and checks a box while I watch.  It's all over in 2 seconds and then they claim that I signed the agreement.  I called foul because I can't read 10 pages in 2 seconds and checking a box on the computer is NOT my signature so this time they gave me the actual paper to sign.  After reading everything several times, I do NOT agree.

I'm not selling my soul for this low paying job that doesn't pay enough to pay the bills.  I'd prefer to just not go back to work.  

Favorite Answer

I think the boss is over stepping his level of authority.

A phone YOU purchase, right? They have no right to ask the things of you that you stated.  I am an employer and I supply key employees with cell phones and they know I have the right to inspect every aspect of those COMPANY PHONES at any second I desire.  But this  is YOUR phone if you are telling the truth about who is buying them.

If you do not agree then quit or wait for them to fire you  because you have no upper hand here.

• xyzzy

It is quite simple. If you don't agree and don't want to sell your soul quit and don't go back to work. Writing "signed under protest" has no legal weight.

They will just fire you if you don't sign or indicate "signed under protest". I'm not sure the note "signed under protest" will really have any significance because not signing is how one normally indicates one does not agree with the agrement. The work around is to simply get a second phone (as cheap as possible) and use that only for work. That's a bit of a pain and an expense but, as I see it, it's that or look for another job.

Here, if the employer requires you to have a phone they either provide it or pay for it.

If they do that, use it for work purposes only and let them look through it if they wish. Keep any other phone you have to yourself and use only that for personal purposes.  They have no right to even know about that phone, let alone examine it.

"Signed under protest" means NOTHING.  You either sign it or you don't and if you won't/don't, then quit, or they will fire you.  You are COMPLETELY WRONG.  They have every right to check that you are using the phone for "business purposes" and not misusing it and abusing your time - which is their time during business hours.  If you have nothing to hide and no intention of abusing their time (which is theft - theft of company time, a criminal charge and will give you a criminal record if caught), then you wouldn't mind.  I guess you have other purposes in mind.  Go and find another job.  This doesn't sound like a good fit for you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Joan

So you have 2 phones one that you use for work that you would never use except for work and have a personal phone, since you are buying it for work buy the most expensive phone you can find and get it written off your taxes, since you are now required to purchase a phone for work.

Talk to a labor lawyer about it.  If you are required to buy something to continue to work, might be a violation of a state law.

Source(s): My former employer had uniforms for the staff. One piece, the ladies' shoes, was to be purchased by each employee. There were objections--and that was a violation of the law. Employees won. That was 45 years ago in California. Check how things are now.

Unfortunately, there are very few laws in the US protecting workers' rights. You can thank Republicans for that. So you probably have a choice of quitting your job or going along with this. I agree with you that this is entirely too "big brother". If enough people quit, the company might re-think the policy. 

Are they paying for it or are you?

If they're paying for it then you can still have your own personal phone and just do business on theirs.

• blank

This is the only answer that directly addresses the real issue.   Company paid for and supplied phone?  They have every right to track it, look at it, etc.   Just turn it on in the companmy lot or garage, turn it off end end of day.  Your personal phn?  No way. They can drop dead.