Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

How likely is jail for felony theft?

I got caught stealing from work and have been charged with felony theft. The value of what I took from the store is about $10,000.

I had gambing debts and tried it once and got away with it and then did it more until I got caught and they called the police in and had me arrested.

I lost my job but dont have the money to pay it back but my Dad is willing to help me pay it back over time. I feel very bad over what happened and for letting people down and I have learnt my lesson and wil never do anything like this again. I am just hoping that I get a chance to show people I am not a bad person.

I have only been in court once before a few year ago for a minor assault but nothing serious like this.

Prison is more likely for a FELONY. Incarceration of some kind is nearly CERTAIN if you are convicted.

I think Jail is quite possible at that value.

If you have no previous convictions you might get probation and be allowed to pay off your debt. But you are likely to do some prison time if you have a previous conviction.

Likely the odds are good, but what you are initially charged with and what you are convicted of are two very different things.  Most of the time these things get swept away if restitution is worked out and you get a slap on the wrist misdemeanor much like your assault.

you might end up in jail over that so i suggest you stop doing it

That "minor assault" is serious. It tells the court that you didn't learn your lesson and are continuing in your criminal behavior. I don't know if England has similar laws as the US, but many states have what are called 'three strikes' laws which make a third conviction carry a much more heavy sentencing (think ten years for even a petty conviction).

Seeing that they're charging you with the felony level of theft, I wouldn't make any vacation plans right now.

Your most accurate answer would come from asking your attorney though. He/she would be more familiar with how strict your local prosecutor's office is on these sorts of crimes and will likely be the one entering plea negotiations on your behalf.

But again, I'm not familiar with British law other than shares the same roots as the US system.

Use the Joe Biden defense:  I can steal all I want because I'm the vice president.  If you're not actually the vice president, the defense might not be that effective.

• .

With a prior criminal record, it is very likely.

• Kyle

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalt...

here's an article with more info.  might not be a bad idea to get an attorney.  if you can plead to a lesser charge, maybe you won't get prison time but a fine and probation.