Iam asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 8 months ago

Why is bachelor's degree 3 year in the UK?

How do they manage to fit what takes most other places 4 years to teach into a 3 year course? Do they teach less? Less unneeded stuff? Do they teach more efficiently? Do they make students work harder?

In the UK they do not require that you take courses outside your major. So if you are a Chemistry major, you are essentially taking only Chemistry/Science courses. In the US, most Universities required a "breadth" component where you are taking courses outside of your major (i.e. if you are a business major you would have to take at least 1 science course at many universities)

The content of many bachelor's degrees in the UK these days has been reduced to the point that they could be done in one year.

When I took my BSc (London University 3 year course) in the late 1970s I had 6 lectures a week plus practicals. No-one on the course had any kind of job. They didn't have time.

My daughter's Business Studies degree from the University of East London (graduated 2016) had one lecture a week, but the course was still 3 years. She had enough spare time to have an almost full time job, as did most of her friends.

The university system is now largely about making money. Employers know the difference between these nothing degrees from "universities" that used to be polytechnics and the real universities like Oxford and Cambridge.

perhaps students in UK are better prepared, eh?

• Tavy

Students attend lectures most days and have exams at end of each term. It's not a lot different than High school in the U.K.

A Masters is a further year and a PhD another 3 years of research.

UK

I think so. It is quite high entry standards.