Phil
Lv 4
Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Who abolished slavery first ? Great Britain or a US state ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Abolishing the trading in slaves was not the same thing as abolishing slavery itself. Many countries including the US enacted law abolishing the international slave trade while allowing the holding of slaves to continue within their borders.

Vermont, which was a free Republic after the Declaration of Independence and not under official United States rule (which didn't happen until the Constitution was in force) abolished slavery in 1777. They did not repeal that act; however, once it was officially part of the United States, federal law superceded state law. While many northern states made former slaves free men, the 1850s saw two important moments that hindered the implementation of emancipation. The 1850 Fugitive Slave Act, pushed through by southern Democrats, required that escaped slaves be returned to their owners. Slaves who had gone to states that made them free men the moment they entered those states were fugitives under federal law. And the Dred Scott decision in SCOTUS in 1857 said that slaves and their descendants could never be US citizens and that slaves were not legally entitled to freedom, even if they had lived many years in a free state. The 1850s with a very strong Democrat contingent in the House and Senate and rubber-stamp presidents Pierce and Buchanan, were a huge setback for emancipation.

Britain abolished slavery in all British territories in 1833, more than 50 years after Vermont and other US states.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's amazing that kids don't need 4 years of schooling to use a phone.

• 2 months ago

Were Can One Read The Declaration Freeing All Slaves, The 13 Amendment Frees No Slave, And No Norman Slave On Brit Soil As Been Freed, Until I Read The Legal Declaration, Until I See A Published Declaration Then Comments Which Claim Mean Nothing.

• 2 months ago

Peter Gore Seer,

Were Can One Read The Declaration Freeing All Slaves, The 13 Amendment Frees No Slave, And No Norman Slave On Brit Soil As Been Freed, Until I Read The Legal Declaration, Until I See A Published Declaration Then Comments Which Claim Mean Nothing.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

the USA finally abolished Slavery 1 January 1866 when the 13 amendment was ratified

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It became illegal to own slaves in britain from 1833,i believe america still had slaves well into the 1860's.

• 2 months ago

GB was the first western nation in modern history to abolish slavery.

But they were not the first in human history to come up with that idea. The ancient Achemanid Persians had outlawed slavery. Ancient Indians too didn't necessarily conquer and enslave new people, but what they did have was the cast system. So you would be a slave/slave-adjacent only if you were born into it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Britain did it the non violent way, while America went through a bloody civil war that killed around 620,000-1,000,000 people

• 2 months ago

Great Britain! Prior to the War of 1812 (1807). The British attempts to eradicate slave trade no doubt was more at the heart of the problem then the sailors the British took that were deserters from His Majesties Navy. Not only did they outlaw slavery, they went after slave traders on the high seas.

• ...Show all comments
    • Phil
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

In the back of my mind there was a US colony or state who abolished slavery and then later allowed it. Am I wrong ?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.