Would you build a Dyson Sphere on the Sun and why and how long do you think it would take?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ioerr
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

if we're thinking about doing the impossible i'd probably rather go with a dyson swarm, which is also impossible but maybe slightly less impossible

because breaking up a planet or whatever to make such structures can potentially provide you with far more usable living space than you could get around the sun any other way of course

if it were possible in the first place of course

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would not, I don't have that kind of budget.  You could probably sell the idea in Washington DC theses days, call it a big beautiful wall which would keep aliens out.

• 1 month ago

No. It is easier to just move to a new planet in another solar system.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Quite impossible.

The Sun will kill you in three ways.

1. Nuclear Radiation before you even get close.

2. Heat

3. Gravity.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • jehen
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. A Dyson sphere would not be on a star, but would surround a star. There is not enough material in the solar system to build one, even if you mined all of the inner rocky planets and moons for it. As a main sequence star the sun is hardly a good candidate such a structure anyway. The theory is that an advanced society's energy needs may be so great that such a structure surrounding a star could capture all of the energy leaving none to radiate into space. But it turns out that as our technology advances we require less energy to do the things we want done, and there is more than we could ever use falling on the earth for our needs and purposes.

• 1 month ago

No. The sphere would take most of the sun’s energy which means that very few would reach earth and plants need the sun’s energy to grow. If there’s no plants then everything else will die. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.