Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If I responded to a coworker's mistake with "look what you did! come on man!" would that be considered being rude or shaming at all?

I work at a restaurant and we had a guy who's either new or transferred from another location. We have a dirty drink glass rack where we place dirty but empty glasses waiting to be put through the dish machine and this new guy puts a used glass on that rack but fails to dump it out before placing it on the rack and I tried to stop him from making a mess with the partially full glass by yelling "NO DON'T!" but I was too late and without putting much thought into being nice as possible tbh, I showed him the spill below the dish rack and said "look what you did! come on man!" and he scoffed then gave me a look or 2 like I'm an ******.

Was my response to his mistake along the lines of rude or shaming?

These things do happen. The next time you have the chance, apologize for hollering at him, and explain that the spill made an unnecessary mess, and in the future dirty glasses need to be emptied, according to normal sanitary protocols.

not at all--you merely drew his attention to his mistake and showed your aggravation a little....honestly there are too many precious snowflakes out there that can't hear that they did something wrong.  that's because their parents have always told them they were perfect and they actually believe it.  If I had done something so incredibly stupid--I would be mortified.

you couldve been nicer about it

• Goerge

Of course it was and your exclamation didn't help anybody except you, pointing the finger. Your scenario is a bit vague. Usually there is a large staging area for dishes that leads up to the dishwasher and beneath that there is usually a perforate(circles) mat that allows for drainage but also provides grip. The slide for thew racks holding cups and glasses is usually above that. A spill in that area is usually not even worried about because it'll drain off but I've not a clue how that restaurant is set up.

It was a new guy mistake and you jabbed him with a barb without cause because you don't sound like management and management would see that it was an accident and if they said anything it would have beein a correction. CMON MAN! Helps nothing.

Aside from that any correction never happens around other employees or guests. Let's assume that new guy drops a tray of dishes as he's bussing a table. NOTHING is ever said nor are looks exchanged. The problem is corrected with help to expedite the interruption but immaturity such as laughing or snickering is always off the table around guests. You need to be more careful man! helps nobody but it does disrupt the guests and put a spotlight where one already was.

However a kitchen is not a place for someone with thin skin and as made popular by Gordon Ramsey, $hit will fly but there's no need to add to it with empty chastising.

Thanks for pointing that I man, I would have never noticed.

Your response was not inappropriate to what he di. His response to being corrected on what he obviously did wrong was definitely inappropriate though.

If it is a grown man doing something that ONLY requires common sense and still messed it up, it is somewhat justifiable. Usually there are better ways to approach someone like that, but if there's absolutely no excuse and he has a history of being an idiot, then it doesn't seem like much of an over-reaction  

• Rick B

Yes, that was very rude.